The UnProfessional Chef

A girl's commentary on food, cooking and all things delicious!

Name:
Location: Singapore

A closet food critic and wannabe chef who loves the art of cooking and enjoying great cuisine in the company of great friends!

Tuesday, October 18, 2005

"Dieting"


Given my love for food, I have overindulged once too often, resulting in clothes that are too tight and a face that’s getting pudgy. I’ve thus been of late attempting to eat less during the course of the working week in order to enjoy the weekends. Often however, the attempts have failed, hence the “ ’’ around the title.

Today was one of those days. I’d planned to run a couple of errands at Raffles City during lunchtime and thought it’d be the perfect day to diet since I hadn’t made a lunch appointment with anyone. An ideal menu for today would have consisted solely of a selection of fruit from the numerous fresh cut fruit stalls that dot the shopping centres in the vicinity of my workplace. However, by noon, even before it was time for lunch, my stomach was growling ravenously for substantial, tasty, calorific actual food. To top it all off, the monsoon season brought about a downpour just as I headed out, which made me crave something hot and satisfying.

To quell my hunger yet assuage my guilt about not going for the healthy fruit fix I’d planned, I headed for my favourite soup joint. There aren’t many places in Singapore where one can get decent Western soups at equally decent prices. Most places serve runny, MSG-loaded liquids that pass for cream of something or other. The Soup Spoon is a surprisingly happy exception to the rule which serves up a wide variety of consistently high-quality, hot and chunky soups.

Departing from my usual choice of cream of mushroom (the version here is awesomely creamy and tasty and so laden with chopped mushrooms that it resembles a stew rather than a soup), I opted to try one of the rotating new flavours suggested. Today’s was Chicken Gumbo ‘inspired by New Orleans’. I’ve never been to New Orleans, so I don’t know what real chicken gumbo tastes like, but this tasted great anyhow and a lot better than the awful picture I took of it! Huge pieces of chicken jostled for space alongside triangular bites of red peppers, celery, carrots and large cubes of potato in a deceptively mild-looking but kickass spicy soup base. I didn’t see any chilies but they must have been in there somewhere because this soup left me draining my entire bottle of Orangina rouge in double-quick time in an attempt to put out the fires set by the gumbo at the back of my mouth.

But I doggedly persevered, masochistically enjoying the fiery, satisfying soup to the last drop. Certainly the perfect antidote to a wet and rainy lunch hour (though not to the woes caused by my ever-expanding waistline!).

The Soup Spoon
252 North Bridge Rd
#B1-03
Raffles City Shopping Centre
Singapore 179103
Tel: 6334 3220

2 Comments:

Anonymous jul said...

but the pumpkin soup was thumbs down..

6:23 PM  
Blogger OMFG!! said...

I am a exchef and i know what cooking in and out...

The suop i had not try to no comments on that..

QiuSpot.net

12:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home