The UnProfessional Chef

A girl's commentary on food, cooking and all things delicious!

Name:
Location: Singapore

A closet food critic and wannabe chef who loves the art of cooking and enjoying great cuisine in the company of great friends!

Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Easy-peasy Night-time Night and Day Cupcakes


Burnt out by a frustrating day at work, I headed to Jason’s supermarket to grab a quick dinner and stock up on baking supplies. Now, the wonderful thing about baking is the magic that can be created by the simple yet wondrous combination of flour, eggs and butter. It being a Monday, I decided that this special pick-me-up was just what I needed to help me get through the rest of the week.

Nigella Lawson’s How to be a Domestic Goddess contains a great selection of easy baking recipes. I’ve converted about 10 of them into delicious successes, with only one crumbling apart on me (but still tasting suitably edible, chocolatey and decadent), so it was a safe bet relying on Ms Lawson’s directions this dreary post-work evening.

If I must say so myself, I made an extremely inspired choice of producing her Night and Day Cupcakes. This basically comprised a simple chocolate cake base made extraordinary with a cream cheese frosting lightened with a squirt of lime juice. All it took was about an hour’s work, washing up included. A quick whirl of dark muscovado and caster sugars with self-raising flour, Valrhona cocoa powder, eggs, milk and vanilla extract in my trusty KitchenAid mixer produced the batter for the cakes, which took a mere 20 minutes in the oven to bake. Another even faster whirl of the cream cheese, icing sugar and lime juice resulted in a very grown-up version of utterly sinful cake frosting. This was simply slathered on and topped with chocolate covered expresso beans. The result - divine. The chocolate cake base was given a richly sweet flavour by the dark muscovado sugar which was set off perfectly by the tangy creamy cream cheese frosting. Plus, I got to eat all the extra chocolate-covered expresso beans!

Completely delicious and pretty good-looking to boot, these cupcakes were the perfect night-time baking cure for the woes (and the headache brought on by deciding what to do about breakfast) of the work week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home