The UnProfessional Chef

A girl's commentary on food, cooking and all things delicious!

Name:
Location: Singapore

A closet food critic and wannabe chef who loves the art of cooking and enjoying great cuisine in the company of great friends!

Saturday, December 24, 2005

A Christmas Revelation

Cranberry Sauce with Orange Zest

I had earlier blogged about the thrill of locating fresh cranberries when I thought sadly that the only cranberries I would ever see here were the dried ones or those already processed beyond recognition in the form of Cranberry Jelly and the like. In my excitement, I’d purchased two bags worth and frozen them. With the little dinner I had planned for my diva girlfriends coming up on Boxing Day, I decided to make good use of the cranberries by turning them into home made Cranberry Sauce for my roast turkey before they became forgotten at the back of my freezer.

For some strange reason, I’d always imagined the recipe for Cranberry Sauce to be some magical secret potion involving hours spent over a hot stove stirring and stirring and stirring. Imagine my somewhat dumbfounded ‘duh!’ surprise when all the recipes I located had one thing in common – they were dead easy. Basically, one cup water, one cup sugar, 12 ounces of cranberries. Boil. If required, add in, as you like, orange peel, pecans, raisins, etc (basically anything you could imagine would taste good with cranberries). Simmer for 10 minutes. Cool, then chill.

The entire process took all of 15 minutes including the time I took to zest some orange peel to add into the mixture, as well as washing up! It was a Christmas 2005 Revelation indeed and the best reason never never never to buy bottled cranberry sauce again – the trip to the supermarket and battle with the traffic is simply not worth it.

2 Comments:

Blogger eatzycath said...

An epiphany! I shared the same feeling when I made my first batch of cherry sauce... can't wait to read about your boxing day meal! Merry Christmas and with lots of wishes for a prosperous New Year 2006 :)

2:59 PM  
Blogger The UnProfessional Chef said...

Thanks for reading and leaving your comments eatzycath! Merry Christmas to you and your family too and to many more good meals in 2006!

3:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home