The UnProfessional Chef

A girl's commentary on food, cooking and all things delicious!

Name:
Location: Singapore

A closet food critic and wannabe chef who loves the art of cooking and enjoying great cuisine in the company of great friends!

Saturday, December 03, 2005

Upside-Down Cake - Take #2

Cranberry Upside-Down Cake

After last weekend’s morning baking fiasco, I was determined to have another go at baking an upside down cake. I’d previously always avoided doing so for want of a cast iron classic tarte tatin pan, but despite last week’s failed attempt, I realized that a regular springform pan appeared to work just fine too.

With Christmas just round the corner and planning beginning for various meals I intend to cook for my friends and loved ones, I decided to bake a Cranberry Upside-Down Cake from Nigella Lawson’s How to be a Domestic Goddess (isn’t it evident what my true ambition in life is? ☺). I love upside-down cakes and I love cranberries, and having only just discovered that Jason’s Supermarket at Tanglin Mall actually stocks fresh cranberries (albeit Ocean Spray, not exotically organic ones), I was pretty excited about this recipe.

I determinedly and carefully followed each step of the recipe to the letter and was reasonably successful in creating a cake that looked pretty close to her version in the book. It was much much simpler to make and though it didn’t look as pretty as the apple version last week as the sugar hadn’t completely caramalised in places, it tasted wonderful. I’d say that between the two recipes, the apple version from Bill’s Sydney Food would make for a more sophisticated dessert as the apple had been gorgeously enhanced with lemon zest and vanilla – hence, I’ll probably make that one for Christmas instead (with all the steps right!). Be that as it may, I had a REAL cake this time and the fresh cranberries burst with beautifully tart flavour when bitten into. Along with a scoop of Waitrose Cornish Double Cream ice cream, this was a delightful, sinful way to spend a cool Saturday afternoon.





2 Comments:

Blogger eatzycath said...

what an absolutely lovely pic of the cranberry upside-down cake.. you have inspired me to try one this weekend (I was never brave enough to try upside-down cakes after the first one I baked was totally burnt on the fruit side - "chow tar")!

3:16 PM  
Blogger The UnProfessional Chef said...

It's actually pretty easy - this one only baked for 30 minutes so it didn't have time to become 'chow tar'. The apple one is caramalised in the pan first before baking - the baking seems to only be for the cake part so I think it should be pretty quick too!

4:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home