The UnProfessional Chef

A girl's commentary on food, cooking and all things delicious!

Name:
Location: Singapore

A closet food critic and wannabe chef who loves the art of cooking and enjoying great cuisine in the company of great friends!

Thursday, January 26, 2006

Comeback Canalés

Canalés

Apologies! It’s been a rather long hiatus since my last post. The past few weeks had been a whirlwind of activity with the start of the new year and all its frantic scrabbling around to get things done, start new projects, prepare for the business of 2006 and just sheer exhaustion from it all that I sadly had to ignore my blog for a bit.

But I am back! My dear girlfriend D and I had just before Christmas developed a sudden huge addiction to canalés. Those gorgeous chewy rummy delights can’t be found in many places here in Singapore but we had a memory of canalés past from our trip to France last year and had been thinking about it for sometime. Some months ago we discovered a new pâtisserie, aptly called Canalé, which served up a plethora of delightful French pastries, cakes, macaroons, and of course, canalés, of a significantly higher standard than most of the so-called French pâtisseries here.

Inspired to make our very own, we sought the help of friends from France who were returning to Singapore for a vacation to buy us genuine individual copper canalé moulds from the bakeware supply shops in Paris. Our recipe also came from France courtesy of Clotilde’s instructions in Chocolate and Zucchini. These vintagey little orange-coloured devices arrived sometime back and had been sitting forlorn in my cupboard while I went off cooking and blogging for a bit but finally this morning, chancing upon an off day from work, I decided to christen them. Darling D had been a lot more efficient and had started experimenting with making the canalés some weeks back. The first couple of attempts were pretty tough exercises in finding just the right temperature and baking times as well as devising the best means of making sure the canalés did not stick steadfastly to their moulds. By reducing the baking time and buttering the inside of the moulds with copious amounts of butter, D hit jackpot two days ago. Bouyed by her success, as well as her kindness in giving me some of the extra batter (made of rum, vanilla pod, sugar, eggs, milk, butter and flour) she had prepared (a girl can only eat so many canalés ☺), I simply poured the mixture into the individual moulds, whacked them into the oven at 250ºC for 20 minutes, then reduced the heat to 200ºC for another 30 minutes or so and voilà, six little aromatic mouthwatering delights popped out! Gorgeously crisp with an almost caramel-like flavour on the crust containing a tasty chewy heart, these tiny delights pack a mighty punch.

4 Comments:

Anonymous SS said...

Would love to try the caneles!!

9:42 PM  
Blogger Daffy said...

Hi!
Your canales look amazing! =) You've just made me want to get a few of those copper moulds myself!

Anyway, I’d like to seek your help in my dissertation research and would really appreciate it if would agree to this. It only involves either an online interview or filling in a survey.

If you could give me your email address (either by replying to this comment or emailing me at amoebamoron@gmail.com), we can liaise from there. Thank you very much!

Daffy

1:40 PM  
Anonymous yy said...

omigosh, what an honor to be mentioned in your blog! i wanna try the caneles too--do you deliver? :P

5:46 PM  
Blogger shaz said...

hi there. Im a fellow singaporean gal-food-blogger! I added your site as a link to mine. I hope you dun mind! Keep up the good efforts!

9:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home