The UnProfessional Chef

A girl's commentary on food, cooking and all things delicious!

Name:
Location: Singapore

A closet food critic and wannabe chef who loves the art of cooking and enjoying great cuisine in the company of great friends!

Monday, January 02, 2006

A New Year and New Recipes

Welcoming the New Year by having a meal with either family or friends was simply the best way to enjoy the long holiday weekend we were having. Barely had the excessive feasting of Christmas subsided that the next round of merry-making hit us a week later. While the body may groan at the thought of more rich food, booze and desserts, the celebratory spirit soldiers on for one last burst of wining and dining before settling down to face the reality of work in the New Year.

First up – celebration. I had over for dinner three dear friends, two of whom were at the crossroads of their professional lives. One had just completed her PhD and we were all really chuffed at being able to call her ‘Dr’ after her seven years of hard work! Congratulations #1! The other dear friend is just about to head off to pursue her MBA at Insead – a goal she has always dreamt of achieving and we were all very happy indeed to be seeing her off on this next step of her journey in three days’ time. Congratulations #2!

Standing Rib Roast of Pork with Fennel Seeds, Coriander and Garlic

To mark these special events, I decided to attempt something I had not tried before – cooking pork. I had previously stuck to poultry or beef, but knowing that my guests’ dietary preferences headed in the opposite direction, I decided to push my own limits and try something new. On hindsight, perhaps I should have practiced first, but since I enjoy making each cooking expedition a true adventure, my friends had to suffer slightly from the experimental nature of it all.

I decided to try preparing a Standing Rib Roast of Pork with Fennel Seeds, Coriander and Garlic from the Zuni Café Cookbook. This recipe called for a really good cut of pork rib roast (which I purchased from The Butcher at Chip Bee Gardens, Holland Village) to be cut at crucial points then seasoned for at least three days ahead with crushed garlic paste, fennel seeds, coriander seeds (I didn’t have any so I used dried coriander leaves instead – probably wasn’t quite right, but it didn’t taste all that bad) and salt. The salt had the effect of brining the meat over the three days and rendering it beautifully soft and tender. After three days of sitting in the fridge, the entire roast was then placed in the oven to roast for between one to one and a half hours. Ideally, one should be armed with a meat thermometer in order to determine the precise doneness of the meat, but lacking one of those, I went with sheer guesswork. It didn’t do any harm, but certainly added to the excitement level of the cooking adventure.

The roast turned out beautifully. The brining process did indeed create an extremely tender cut of meat brimming with the smoky flavours of the fennel seeds and coriander. However, in my experimental enthusiasm, I overdid the salt at some spots leaving the meat eventually too salty in some portions. But barring the edges, the rest of the meat turned out well and I noted with a sigh of relief that my guests finished their portions to the bone.

Salad of Arugula Leaves, Red Onion and Red Grapes

To off set the extreme meatiness of the main course, I prepared a salad of Arugula Leaves, Red Onion and Red Grapes. This did not come from any cookbook recipe as such, but from a memory of having previously eaten something similarly delicious at another friend’s home. The greens were simply tossed with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. The greens, in particular, the grapes, were a juicy refreshing complement to the roast – who knew simple grapes were capable of this effect?

Rosemary Roasted Potatoes

For carbo, I served up a portion of Rosemary Roasted Potatoes that I’d previously talked about. A perennial pleaser, I’d made sure I had a good-sized portion just in case the meat turned out to be an absolute disaster. It didn’t, thanfully, but the potatoes disappeared nevertheless!

Dinner ended with my standard Apple and Almond Crumble from How to Eat which I used to prepare ad nauseum for any and all dinner parties. I hadn’t done so in a while and thought it would be fun to do it again given its general failsafe quality.

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL!

5 Comments:

Blogger eatzycath said...

that roast pork looked really very good, will have to try it one day!

12:31 AM  
Blogger The UnProfessional Chef said...

Thanks eatzycath! Forgive my lousy phototaking skills - it looks better in real life.

10:43 AM  
Blogger J said...

hi, everything looks utterly delicious! happy new year to you and the hubby; may 2006 be an even more delicious one than the last!

10:47 AM  
Blogger The UnProfessional Chef said...

Thanks j! yes indeed, to more good food and drink :)

11:11 AM  
Anonymous #2 said...

Will miss the good cooking and company at your place!! Thanks for the delish meal.

4:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home